This month on the Fiction Writers’ Blog Hop, the topic set by our gorgeous host Julie is Book Clubs.
Five and a half years ago, I started a book club with a bunch of (then) kindy mums and we’re still together today. Now, I could, I suppose, dish the dirt on what happens at our book club (the one who finishes every book, the who never finishes, the one who always steers the conversation to anything but the book…), but…..The appeal of book clubs is so wide that there are even books where a book club is like a character, or plot point in its own right.
Even I’ve done it. In The Point there is a book club that is an important part of the characters’ lives.
When I sat down to write this blog post, I realised something very important about book clubs – they all have their own individual names. My book club is called Mums of the Book (after Geraldine Brookes’ People of the Book), with the two novels above the name of the book is also the name of the book club, a friend of mine called her book club Read Between the Wines…
And with this realisation came the revelation that my book club in The Point (TP) DOESN’T HAVE A NAME!!!!! I can’t believe I’ve been so remiss. So I’m going to ask for your help.
Help me name TP’s book club.
A little info to help you-
- The name of the town is called Tall Gum Point, and the locals refer to it as The Point
- The book club meet once a month in the local pub, called The Royal
- They alternate between reading a classic and something more modern
- They comprise of the town golden boy (main character’s potential love interest), the town ‘mother hen’, the local eclectic artist, the old grocery shop assistant and my main character Nicole, an author who reluctantly joins the book club
- TP’s blurb can found here to give you sense of the novel
I won’t give too much more away, you know, spoiler alert and all that, so hopefully that’s enough to get your brain ticking over.
Leave your suggestions in the comments below. The ‘winner’ will receive….my undying gratitude and a mention in the acknowledgments
if when TP gets published.
So, get to it, peeps, help me find a name for my fictional book club.